As Android 4.4 KitKat has been launched and currently running on some specific smartphones like Google Nexus 5 and many more are expected to come with this latest Android version. If you have HTC One and waiting for the latest Android OS then you are at right place. Although this is not an official update but there is also no sign from HTC to give update soon. Currently HTC One is running on Android version 4.1.2 Jelly Bean and is you can officially update it to v4.3 Jelly Bean.
If you don’t want to wait for the official update then follow those easy steps below to install Android 4.4 AOSP custom ROM on your HTC One. So first of all, check below the key hardware details of your smartphone.
Key Hardware Specs of HTC One
- CPU: 1.7 GHz Krait 300 Qualcomm APQ8064T Snapdragon 600 processor
- Operating System: Android OS, v4.1.2 (Jelly Bean), upgradable to v4.3 (Jelly Bean)
- Memory: 2 GB RAM, 16/32 GB internal memory with no microSD card slot.
- Camera: 4 MP, auto focus LED flash primary camera and 2.1 mega pixel secondary camera
- Display: 4.7 inches super LED3 touch capacitive screen with resolution of 1080×1920 pixels
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Po 2300 mAh battery.
Disclaimer: This is not an official update from the manufacturer, and this will void your device warranty and also may cause device damage during this process, So better you please read this article before starting this process,if you get any problem or difficulties in understating this, comment below, I will try to solve them out. Do everything at your own risk.
- Charge your battery up to 70-80%.
- Make Backup of your device to avoid data loss during this.
- Internet connection is required.
- Download and install HTC USB drivers on your PC and enable USB debugging mode on your phone. (Go to Settings->Applications->Developer Options->USB debugging)
- Your phone should be rooted. Don’t worry if you your device is not rooted. Click here for the tutorial How to root HTC One.
How to install CWM recovery on HTC One
- Download all the files on your desktop following the links from Pre- Requirement section.
- Switch off your phone and start in Fastboot loader mode, to do so Press and Hold Volume up and Power button for few second and select the FastBoot option on the screen. Make sure that your computer has detected your device and drivers are properly installed.
- Now go to the directory where you have placed Bootloader.exe and launch the command prompt and write the following command
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- where recovery.img will be replaced with the actual name of your img file.
- Reboot your device.
Well done you have successfully installed CWM recovery on your HTC One.
How to Update HTC One with Android 4.4 KitKat AOSP Custom ROM
- Reboot your phone in Recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume down + Power button. Use volume keys for navigating up or down and for select use power button in recovery mode
- Now, do data wipe by selecting the option from the recovery menu “wipe data/factory reset” and then “wipe cache partition” and further move to advance option in CWM recover and select wipe Dalvik cache.
- Now go to the main menu and select the menu “install zip from SD card” and navigate to the directory where you have placed the downloaded file.
- It will take barely 2-3 minutes, so wait for the process to complete and repeat the same process but this time your select Gapp from the downloaded directory.
- Now back to the main menu and select reboot, to restart your phone. This will take 15-20 minutes to start because it takes time ti initialize all the app for the first time after flashing the ROM.
- Again Reboot your device normally.
Congrats !!! You have successfully updated HTC One with new Android 4.4 KitKat. Comment below if you have any trouble.