Have Galaxy tab 2?? Now you can also taste the sweetness of latest Android Kitkat 4.4.2 directly on your device by updating the existing Android OS to KiKat via Omni ROM. Although it is an unofficial version but Omni ROM is trusted ROM, many users are using this for updating their devices.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 is comes with an awesome features and hardware with optimized performance powered by dual core 1 GHz supported by PowerVR SGX540 graphics chipset runs on Android OS, v4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich), upgradable to v4.1.1 (Jelly Bean). You should thank CyanogenMod11 based on Omni ROM for providing this update so soon, because I don’t think Samsung has panned any update to this device. But before going through this tutorial your galaxy Tab must be rooted with latest CWM recovery v22.214.171.124 and above, or you can also go for TWRP recovery.
If you don’t want to wait anymore then this must be helpful for you but it has some bugs which may not like, but developers are working on to solve them all.
Know issues with this Omni ROM
- First after this update you won’t be able to see any keyboard by default, there is a way to get rid of that, skip all settings on first start up of your device then go to Settings->Language and Input->default Input->and turn off the hardware keyboard.
- One of the main feature of Android kitkat 4.4 which is “Screen Recorder” is not working.
Now if you can manage these lack then you can follow the steps mentioned below. Here I will flash this ROM via CWM recovery, so first go and root your device. If you are newbie then you should know about rooting and custom ROMs, click here for more details on it.
Pre – requisites
- This updates is only for Galaxy Tab 2 model P5100/P5110, so first check your device model before doing anything, please do not try this on any other device, it may cause device damage.
- To prevent interruption, fully charge your device, as it consumes more battery power than usual.
- Proper installation of device’s USB drivers on your computer is must. You can also install Kies.
- Installing this custom ROM will delete all your personal data so better you first create a backup by using some back tool.
> KitKat 4.4.2 Omni ROM for P5100
> Kitkat 4.4.2 ROM for P5110
> Google applications package
Update Galaxy Tab 2 to KitKat 4.4.2 via Omni ROM
- Connect your device to your computer using data cable and copy the downloaded file to your device’s memory card.
- Disconnect your device after completing the file transfer process. (Do not extract the zip file anywhere).
- Reboot your device in recovery mode, to enable the CWM recovery press and hold Volume up + Home + Power key simultaneously until Samsung’s logo appears.
>>Its mandatory to use volume key for moving up/down and power key to select any option in the recovery menu.
- As I told earlier that you have to delete all the data by performing Wipe data/factory reset, choose this option from recovery menu.
- Now go to the Advanced option and select Wipe Dalvik Cache and press yes to confirm
- Now go back to main menu and select install zip from SD card it will ask you to provide the Kitkat_4.4.2 ROM zip file, after browsing the appropriate compressed file and confirm it pressing yes button. It will start flashing the actual Kitkat 4.4.2 ROM on your device. Wait 2-3 minutes or may be more.
- Repeat the same step 6 but this time instead of Kitkat_4.4.2 ROM zip file browse Google applications package file.
- Again you have to wait for sometimes. After completion of the whole process reboot our device.
- Don’t be panic, it generally takes more time to start up than usual as your device is starting up for the first time with latest Kitkat 4.4.2.
Congratulations!!! You have successfully installed Kitkat 4.4.2. If you come across to any bug with this update please comment below, it will help to make this ROM even better. Till then keep enjoying.